Monday, July 4, 2011

Enjoying company...avoiding cooking...

Today is the 4th of July, and we have had company at our house for the past 4 days. My husband's two bachelor friends are here, and, with the exception of Saturday evening when Gary asked me to be in charge of cooking the hashbrowns and cutting up the watermelon while he barbecued the steaks and salmon, set the table and served the food, I have managed to avoid cooking for our company. Yesterday morning I made coconut pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and fresh strawberries, but I did not do it out of a sense of obligation. I wanted to try out the coconut pancakes on them and sample our Vermont maple syrup I purchased through the Heirloom Project.

The two bachelors, Tom and Brian, are accustomed to looking out for themselves and tend to drink several cups of black coffee first thing in the morning before the idea of eating something occurs to them. (I remain in my room reading while Gary and his friends mellow into their day). When they begin to experience signs of hunger, the guys discuss where they can go for food. We have lots of food in our house, but I want my husband to be in charge of feeding them. He was a bachelors himself for many years.

I wish to remain on the sidelines, responsible only for being polite and welcoming. I enjoy listening to my husband and his two friends talk and laugh and really enjoy being together. I like feeling free to go off by myself and read my book, watch TV or go to the internet - "off duty" activities - while still having these nice people "around."

Last evening Gary, Brian and I (Tom was at another social gathering) met our friends Mike and Deb for dinner at a restaurant downtown. Today Brian took Gary and I out to lunch, and this evening we are attending the annual Rattlesnake Gardens barbecue, less than a mile down the road from our house. So I have had a good deal of success this 4th of July weekend avoiding cooking while still enjoying Gary's friends. Happy 4th!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment