Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tomato plants; plus the oil business

Two or three weeks ago Gary planted the two tomato plants I purchased at the Farmers' Market. I would some day like to try growing heirloom tomatoes, but this year I wanted to be safe; so I got Early Girl variety, which I have grown in years past. Our yard, and the entire neighborhood where we live, for decades was home to populations of deer, and we still involuntarily share our yard with them. They help themselves to most everything we could plant in the way of food or flowers; and have been known to stand on their hind legs, stretching to eat the leaves from our last surviving ancient apple tree. We have a large pot filled with flowering plants on our front porch post, and we're hoping one of the deer doesn't climb up there and munch off all the colorful blossoms. Our neighbors who have fenced-in back yards do not have ongoing plant wars with deer.

Okay, back to the tomato plants. They are being watered every other day by a drip line from our underground sprinkling system. Today we admired the tiny green tomatoes that have appeared. Hopefully the two layers of protective screening that Gary installed will save the plants from the deer, and we will one day harvest the fruit. If this venture is successful, next year we may try growing green beans, another nutritious and delicious food.

On Saturday I made lip balm using calendula-infused olive oil, cold-pressed canola oil, beeswax, wheat germ oil, vitamin E oil, and a combination of several different essential oils. The next day I decided I wanted to firm up the texture and add more scent; so I scraped all the approximately 8 oz. of balm back into a beaker and put the beaker into a hot water bath over a double boiler. I added more beeswax and also some African shea butter, because I like that stuff, stirring to blend all as the wax and butter melted. When it was completely liquid, I removed the beaker to a towel on the counter. Then I began adding drops of various essential oils until it had an aroma that seemed appealing. I have accumulated a rather extensive selection of essential oils, but the list of what is available seems endless; so I keep buying more. It is generally a good idea to include some lavender essential oil in creams and balms, etc., because of its preservative properties.

The modified lip balm is an improvement over the original, and I may try sending some in the mail to my son and daughter-in-law to evaluate for me. I also want to make some more meringued nuts for them to try, but that's another story. Please keep your chin up, and be determined to have a Happy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment