Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mainly Skin

It has been some weeks since I posted, and I hardly know where to begin. I have been following a skin care regimen and feeling rather smug about it. Then yesterday I noticed the beginnings of some blemishes on my face!! So I tried to think why that would happen while I have been practicing such "excellent" skin care. Each night I remove my make-up using the cleansing cream I made (it is very pure). I wipe off the cream with facial tissue. Then I gently scrub my face using the cleansing grains I made. After rinsing thoroughly, I splash on cold water to close the pores. Sometimes I spray on the calendula toner I made, but not always, because the toner has to be kept downstairs in the refrigerator, and it is inconvenient to trudge downstairs to get it, etc. (Okay - I admit I've been a bit of a slacker regarding the toner, and a demerit is in order.)

The one thing I had not yet tried that is recommended by Rosemary Gladstar is to steam your face occasionally to clean the pores. So tonight after cleansing and scrubbing my face, I heated a kettle of water to boiling; then set the kettle in the kitchen sink. I put a heavy towel over my head and held my face to the steam, and I did this for 8 minutes. After the steam, I gently patted my face dry with a clean cotton cloth. To close the pores, I splashed on cold water; then semi-dried my face with facial tissue. Rosemary suggests adding various herbs to the steaming water, but I wanted to try it plain first.

Another thing I am considering is making moisture cream using grapeseed oil instead of jojoba or almond oil as the base. Jojoba and almond are supposed to be better for mature skin and grapeseed oil better for oily skin. But, as I have read, each person's skin responds uniquely to each base oil; so I wish I had tried them all out first, sampled each on my arm and noted how readily my skin absorbed it, how it felt - like the books advise. (But, what the heck! Why spoil my record for making things as frought with problems as possible and learning everything the hard way?!!) I think I would also like to substitute shea butter for coconut oil. Finally, I would use only essential oil, such as grapefruit seed oil for natural preservative purposes and vitamin E. Unscented or a very subtly scented cream would appeal to more people. (I must say I have tended to go hog wild - adding to the concoctions various essential oils in weird combinations! Note to self: use essential oil restraint.)

It was another beautiful day here, and we expect more of the same tomorrow. Hope all is marvelous with you! Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment